Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Surprise in My Garden!

Spring is almost here! After the wind and rain of last weekend, the sun was shining and it was in the upper 60's today. Just a lovely day! So, I decided it was time to retrieve a treasure I had discovered in my garden.

A couple of weekends ago, my sisters were all here (4 of us) to celebrate the youngest sister's birthday. Two of them don't get up here too often. So since the weather was nice, we walked around the property a bit. We wandered into my overgrown potager for a look. I always leave it to "go to seed" so that our feathered family have choice pickings during the lean months. To my surprise, peeking up through the weeds and remnants of last years bounty, we found several healthy patches of chard!

I planted two rows last spring, and enjoyed chard well into November, when it began to look a little rough around the edges. I let nature take its course and the garden basically shut down...except for the Rosemary & Thyme, which I had expected to over-winter well. I guess the chard wasn't about to give up either! I am so glad it didn't. I'm having this for dinner tonight! It will remind me that fresh tomatoes, radishes and green beans aren't really all that far off!

Hopefully, I'll get a couple more cuttings before I have to clear the way for new plantings!

Swiss Chard - "Bright Lights".

~Chris~



2 comments:

  1. Well what a wonderful find...now what did you do with that chard? I love it in soup much more so than spinach leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi doodles! Thanks for visiting again!

    My favorite way to eat chard is to steam it until tender, then saute with a little olive oil, butter & soy sauce. Definitely NOT low-cal, but delish!

    I have also stuffed it like grape leaves or cabbage rolls.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...