Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Very Nervous Labor Day!

This is how I spent my Labor Day afternoon!




This wildfire stayed about 1-1/2 miles from our home. But the wind was very gusty and kept changing directions. For a while, we had some ash falling, so that was a worry. We got all the garden hoses ready and kept as close a watch as we could over 10 acres.

At 8:30 pm the fire was 60 percent contained at 700 acres. We know of one home that was destroyed and several out buildings. There are still some evacuations in effect, but it appears that the fire crews are in "mop up" mode now.

While we keep a closely mowed and green 100' defensible space around our house, there is still plenty of dry grass, which although it is also mowed down, can ignite easily. The fire can also travel from treetop to treetop very quickly in the wind.

We were very lucky! But I have to tell you, I was really frightened! I am definitely ready for our rainy season!

Chris
©

5 comments:

  1. Fire has to be the scariest thing. I haven't been around a large fire, but can't imagine how you felt other than scared and what will we do it come our way.

    You just never know do you.

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's scary. I'm glad that it seems to be retreating. I hope the weather cooperates! I tagged you for a meme on my Cubicle's Backporch blog today! (Sorry! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine seeing smoke like that right outside my door. To hear about it on television is one thing, to see pictures like this is quite another. My heart goes out to you Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! 1 1/2 miles? That is scary.
    Fire travels just too fast.

    I'm so glad that I'm reading your posts backwards and know that all turned out well for you!

    Many Blessings,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really is scary, Chris. I can't imagine. My hat is off to all the firefighters who worked on it! I can't imagine a harder job. -Julia

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...