Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Bouquets to Art

Every year, the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco (Legion of Honor & De Young) present a gala showing of floral design paired with fine art called "Bouquets to Art". It is a spectacular show, and one that I enjoyed so much! The floral designers of the SF Bay area come together to recreate the museum art in floral. These are not traditional "pretty posey" bouquets by any standard, and some were pretty bizarre.

My photos are not at all professional. There were people walking in and out of my planned shots, I got bumped a couple of times...you know, typical crowd annoyances. In a couple of places, I have added links to previous year's interpretations of the same piece of art. Be sure to click and view them, it is fun to see how the designer's works differ.


This beauty with the birch and orchids was one of the stand-alone designs as we entered the exhibit. I am always attracted to anything with birch!





Here's an interpretation of a Diego Rivera painting.





Glass fruit rendered in flowers.





The inspiration for these are the Pre-Colombian artifacts on the wall behind them.




Abstract with stripes, bouquet with stripes.
I loved this colorful interpretation of the red, yellow & blue abstract. And THIS LINK will take you to a previous year's design.
This is the most fun! Gumball machines...my photo below, another version HERE.
Finally, I want to show you what I think is the most gorgeous art-floral combination ever! I did not see this in person, and in order to honor the copyright, I can't show the photo here. But I promise, following THIS LINK is worth the time! World-renowned Dale Chihuly's fabulous glass art done in floral by Yukiko Neibert, one of my favorite floral designers - what a treat! BTW, Yukiko's site is a great place to explore!
Enjoy! Chris
©

8 comments:

  1. Wow is all I can say. I would have loved to attend something like that, so THANK YOU for taking us there. Everyone should follow that link, that's a spectacular floral arrangement. I'm especially in love with the Diego Rivera interpretation. So full and lush.

    Thanks for sharing with us.

    - Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    I think all of your photos are great!
    My favorite piece of art is the gumball machines -- yeah, I'm really living on the edge, huh?!?

    And, by the way, you can come on over and go swimming! Bring your sisters so you can torment them again!

    Blessings,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that Diego Rivera's done with tulips? That is what it looks like. Simply beautiful.

    I love the birch one as well.

    Great pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. glass fruit rendered in flowers? i'll take one of each, both are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a fun show! So much imagination went into all of the arrangements. I just love the gumball machines, too. :) thanks for bringing us along! I'm off to follow your link...
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my new blog, Chris. It's really nice meeting you. You have a lovely blog.

    I always admire beautiful work of arts. I used to teach elementary arts here in RI and I really had fun doing it.

    Don't be a stranger.
    I'll visit often.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bonus! I love art and flowers. Bet that was an awesome show.. Thanks for sharing with me, smiles... Susie h~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing and letting us go along with you to this amazing event...so unique! Love the gumballs especially, having a passion for kid parties and all:)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...