Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Glorious Gourds!

I am a lover of all gourds! These bright, bumpy and oddly shaped beauties that announce Autumn are everywhere right now. The grocery store has them in netted bags in the produce section and the Farmer's Market and road-side stands have large, colorful displays. But my very favorites, the bottle and pear or kettle gourds have been scarce.

I grew them myself a couple of years ago, and it seems that I'll have to do that again! I love the way the look in fall decor. They are also useful for crafting projects like bird houses and rustic bowls. Click HERE to see some examples of crafts & HERE for interesting gourd facts.

The most glorious "natural" presentation of these gourds I have ever seen are in Mary Carol Garrity's home. (Mary Carol is the founder of Nell Hill's in Atchison, KS) The photos below were taken at a fall tour of her home tour.

Too late for me this year, but just wait until I plant my garden next spring! I'm going to have gourds coming out of my ears!







Enjoy! Chris
©

10 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,

    Your friend Mary's home is lovely and the gourds are so festive for fall. I really like all the shapes and sizes too. I have a friend that toll paints on the gourds. Your daughter is lovely and what a smile and she looks like you too. I too have a close relationship with my daughters. It is wonderful!.
    Have a great day,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gourds also and have planted them for the first time this year with wonderful results. Now I am hooked! Love the pictures. Blessings, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gourds too, but probably could never grow them in Florida!

    I tagged you with a fun tag, Chris. Stop by to see what it is. I bet you'll like it, but don't worry if you don't want to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris!
    Your gourds look so beautiful in your fall decorating! I like all gourds and pumpkins and there are so many kinds! Very Lovely Chris!
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love with gourds and these are so pretty and displayed in such a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way she decorated with the gourds. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the mental picture of gourds coming out of your ears. (It makes you look pretty funny by the way)

    You've got me wanting to plant gourds!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Mary...I have a couple of her books. I have the pear shaped gourds on my mantel this year. I bought them on ebay and stained them with wood stain. I had them as my header picture on my blog until tonight...These are great pictures your are showing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a bowl of little round gourds that have been dyed. We got them on a trip to the potteries in Seagrove, NC. I'd like to grow them, too.

    Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! These pictures are just beautiful! I hope she posts pictures of how she decorates, year 'round -- I'll bet Christmas is really spectacular!

    I also hope that you'll tell those of us that don't know how to plant/grow gourds how to......
    They're just the neatest!!!!

    Blessings,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...